Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Demonstration Speech - Manicure



Several components make a good speech. From the content to the visual aids, the quality of the speech is highly contributed to how it is presented . In my demonstration speech which demonstrated to the class how to give a manicure, I provided the content and visual aids but could use improvement in the oral presentation category.
To start off positively, I had a solid introduction discussing the history of the manicure. I feel this was a strong way to start the speech because I did not jump right into the demonstration but provided information to set the stage for the rest of the presentation.
In addition, I feel I did very well organizing my steps sequentially. I began by introducing the materials, proceded through the preliminary steps of washing the hands and priming the nails and finished with painting the nails and adding a top coat. What made this information useful to the class was I explained what all the materials were used for and guided them through the progression of a manicure, explaining the importance of each step, so the class would be able to repeat the process on their own if they wanted to. The only content I would change from my speech is the conclusion. While I feel it wrapped up the speech nicely, I could have done a better job of relating it to the introduction.
The visual aids I provided were both relevant and effective because without them I would not have been unable to demonstrate a manicure. All the visual aids were relevant because each related to a different step in the manicure process. From the polish for painting the nails to the file and buffer for priming the nails, the aids were all effective and allowed me to give my roomate Brie a manicure.
On the other hand, I would like to improve the delivery of my speech. While I talked at a good pace and had an appropriate volume, I feel I could have improved my eyecontact when I was explaining the materials and could have stood straighter to show more confidence and enthusiasm.
It appeared the audience was engaged in my speech and laughed along with me when I couldn't open the nail polish. I think I had the right amount of information but filler words could have been eliminated to give a more exact time.
Overall, I think my topic was conducive to the assignment because hygiene should be a part of every persons life. Also, it is not uncommon for boys to get manicures. Therefore, I think the the girls benefitted because I explained the proper techniques and the boys benefitted because now they can maintain good nail hygiene and not feel like manicures are associated with pretty polish colors.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. sns nails

    ReplyDelete